The Winthrop Public Library is comprised of two connected buildings – the Frost Library building (c.1899) and the George M. Hyde addition built in 1972. Although library service in Winthrop preceded the erection of the Frost Building, it was the first facility in Winthrop devoted solely to that role.
A six member elected Board of Trustees is charged with the responsibility of managing the Library. It develops policy and delegates daily operation to a qualified director and staff.
Board meetings are held monthly at the Library and are open to the public. Minutes of Trustee Board meetings are public record.
The Library staff currently consists of seven full-time and four part-time employees, and one part-time custodian. Three of the full-time staff are professional librarians.
The Library is a proud member of the North of Boston Library Exchange, Inc. (NOBLE), which it joined in 1986, and of the Massachusetts Library System (MLS).